Auburn Memorial Hall
Auburn Memorial Hall has been the centre for community activities in the village since 1962.
The dream of a hall to commemorate area residents who had lost their lives in the two World Wars dates back to the formation of the Community Hall Association in 1947.
Serving on that board were some of the village’s most prominent names: Harry L. Sturdy as president; Bert Craig, vice-president; Charles E. Asquith, secretary; and Alfred Rollinson, treasurer.
Over the years dances, concerts, field days and social events were held to raise money for the hall. Finally in 1957 the Auburn Women’s Institute asked the village council to hold a meeting to re-organize the Auburn Community Memorial Hall Board. The new executive included Mr. Asquith as honorary president; W.L. Craig as president; Keith Arthur as vice-president; and Mrs. Gordon R. Taylor, secretary-treasurer .
In 1958 a meeting was held to choose a site for the hall and the following year land was purchased from the Athletic Association. In Sept. 1960 it was decided to proceed with building a 40-by-80-foot, laminated-arch building with polished concrete floors. In October Dr. B.C. Weir was assisted by John Houston as they turned the sod for the new building. Tribute was also paid to Charles Asquith as the chief promoter of the building.
Donations of labour and money helped close in the building by December. The next spring work on the interior of the building began, led by W. J. Craig as head carpenter. That fall a well was drilled. All tolled, the building cost $22,000, with $7,000 in grants received.
The hall was officially opened in October 1962. Among the ceremonies was the unveiling of a plaque by Mrs. Charles Straughan and Mrs. and Mrs. John Houston. The plaque, which had been presented by the Women’s Institute, honoured the memories of those who served from Auburn community from 1914-1918 and from 1939-1945.