Brussels early landmark now forgotten
In 1956 a Brussels landmark disappeared as workmen demolished "The Terrace" – a six-apartment brick structure on Turnberry St., just north of the Queen St. intersection which had, for longer than anyone in the community could remember, provided homes for six families. The property was brought from Mr. and Mrs. George Evans by an oil company, which erected a station and distributing centre.
Mr. and Mrs. Evans owned the terrace for 12 years. Prior to that it was owned by the late John Clark, who lived in one of the apartments. Mr. Clark had bought it from the estate of the late Philip Ament.
For many years Mr. Ament, first in partnership with his brother John and later assisted by his sons, operated a sawing mill, planing mill, and woodworking factory. The purchase of a large acreage of woodlots necessitated the importation of several teamsters, woodcutters and other workers. Mr. Ament acquired the terrace as homes for his workers, and for many years it was filled with his men and their families.
The earlier history of the building is not available. It is known that it was owned by David Robb, former inspector of public schools for Huron County; by R. W. Tuck; and by a Rev. Mr. Norton, a retired minister. No one knows who built it.
Workmen tearing down the building were amazed at the fine workmanship and quality lumber that had been salvaged. There were three roofs on it. At first it was built with three gables forming the the width of each apartment. These were later built up to form a flat roof, which was still later raised at the front to form a slanting roof.